History

The Vocational School, Miltown Malbay

1939

The Vocational School, Miltown Malbay, was built in 1939 by contractor Paddy Con McMahon, Ennis, with local labour and craftsmen.

1985 - 1992

Classes discontinued due to declining pupil numbers (32).

Partial occupation - woodwork and metalwork rooms by St. Joseph’s Secondary School students up to 1992.

After 1992, empty buildings in place with boarded windows and a lonely face.

Empty Building

1993

Decision to establish a Resource Centre in the buildings.

No money, but a vision and commitment to re-instil life into an institution that was a Centre for Learning for over 40 years.

Michael Mahoney, a farmer from Ballyvaskin, and Christy Curtin, a Vocational School teacher from Clonbony, provided £1,000 for insurance to cover a Social Employment Scheme which commenced in October, 1993 and the work began in the Centre.

1993 - 1995

The SES, under Michael O’Loughlin and Mary O’Brien, undertook the initial task of rehabilitation of the buildings with pride and pleasure. The work was continued in partnership with the different Statutory (Clare County Council, Library Service, Mid-Western Health Board, Department of Family and Social Affairs) and Non-Statutory Agencies (Clarecare and Local Community).

Clare County Council (Library, Roads, Planning & Environment), Health Services, Social & Family Affairs, FÁS, Clare VEC & Clarecare have unselfishly contributed to the on-going programme of voluntary effort.

West Clare Resource Centre